Yomiwa is a fast and complete offline Japanese dictionary, including all modern features. Yomiwa also comes with powerful Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology which lets you recognize over 4000 Japanese characters (Kanjis, Hiraganas and Katakanas) providing Japanese translations and detailed word informations into many target languages. The app displays a pop-up with translations and definitions of words and kanjis as soon as you point to Japanese characters with your iPhone or iPad. You can also take a picture or pick one from your camera roll and navigate it to translate chosen characters. Yomiwa also has a built-in drawing feature for you to draw and translate Japanese characters on your touch-screen with very high accuracy.
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) algorithms have been developed in-house and continuously improved over the past 6 years in order to run efficiently on any iOS device without requiring an internet connection.
• A complete and powerful built-in dictionary with full informations about words, kanjis (on-yomi, kun-yomi, meaning, stroke order etc.) and example sentences.
• Several target languages available: English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian, Dutch, Slovene, Swedish and Hungarian.
• Search definitions from any kind of alphabet: Kanjis / Hiraganas / Katakanas / Romajis. You can search from Japanese words or from foreign words.
• Input characters by: Drawing / Radical search / Keyboard
• A powerful Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine which lets you translate Japanese characters with your camera or from your camera roll pictures
• Furiganas with the Text Analyzer: Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the text analyzer to get furiganas and definitions of each word in the text
• A proper names database (such as people names, places, locations...)
• Japanese pronunciation of words in roman letters (romaji) or hiragana / katakana.
• Draw characters on the screen to translate them and practice writing Japanese
• Read either horizontal or vertical Japanese text
• Build vocabulary lists of Japanese words and Kanjis (which you can share as files or text in may ways!)
• Get help from the user community by sharing pictures on the Yomiwa Wall
Yomiwa is perfect for:
• Use as a dictionary
• Read and understand Japanese text (newspaper, manga, books,...)
• Learn and study Japanese Kanjis (meaning, reading, drawing, writing)
• Translate Japanese words in everyday life situations
• Instant on-the-go translation when travelling in Japan
• Overcome the language barrier!
Video visible on the link below (developer website). However, the app has been greatly improved since the last video footage.
Feedback and suggestions are very welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org